- At 18 he was thinking of going flatting. At 19 he bought his own home.
Buying your first home has never been tougher. In this series, Stuff talks to Kiwis who’ve made it onto the property ladder and others who, by choice or not, are still renting.
Travis Parry was 18 and thinking of going flatting when his mum told him not to pay off someone else’s mortgage.
Now 19 and having just bought his first home, Parry is thankful for his mum’s advice.
“She said ‘if you save for a year you might be able to buy your own house and get other people to pay your mortgage’.
“That sounded like a good idea to me.
* On the ladder: Spare bedroom helps pay mortgage
* On the ladder Part 6: Enjoying the big city lifestyle while owning by the beach
* On the ladder: Good fortune, a great first home and a bit of a trade-off
* On the ladder, part 4: First home at 21, now they have 3 at 25