Christchurch earthquake

PHOTO: An old abandoned building on Fitzerald Avenue on the edge of Christchurch, on February 17, 2021, nearly 10 years after it was damaged in a 6.3 magnitude earthquake. Photo: AFP / Marty Melville

On the 11th anniversary of the Christchurch earthquake, a lawyer dealing with outstanding insurance claims says the city still has a long way to go.

A 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck the Canterbury region at 12.51pm on 22 February in 2011, killing 185 people.

More than half a million claims have been made with the Earthquake Commission (EQC) and private insurers as a result, and many homeowners are still wrestling to work through unsettled claims.

Sexy real estate agents – FUN Instagram Page | sexy.agents

Shine Lawyers principal Andrew Ferguson said a number of their clients in this situation were frustrated and running out of patience.

“It’s an incredibly stressful situation for anyone who’s placed in a position of uncertainty,” Ferguson said.

“A lot of people who are in the position of still having to deal with insurers and EQC assumed that this would be wrapped up well and truly before 11 years.”

Ferguson felt the struggles of these homeowners had been forgotten as time moved on.

“I think a lot of the country probably thinks that things have been sorted.”

Support independent New Zealand news aggregation

Ferguson said it was impossible to tell when the city would be able to move on from these lingering issues.

“I wouldn’t want to predict what’s going to happen because every time I have, I’ve been wrong, and it seems to have get worse.”

Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of Commerce chief executive Leeann Watson was proud of the progress the city had made, despite significant adversity.

“We’ve got a really resilient, agile, supportive community that is really well-positioned for the future,” Watson said.

“We didn’t start the rebuild 11 years ago, we had an earthquake, and for two years following, the ground was still shaking.”

READ MORE VIA RNZ