PHOTO: Bill Gates & his San Diego mansion. FILE
Bill Gates is giving his $57 million oceanfront estate a makeover despite buying it in “immaculate condition” and neighbours are unimpressed.
Before announcing their shocking divorce, Bill and Melinda Gates shelled out a whopping $US43 million ($A57m) for an oceanfront estate in San Diego – the latest hot spot in California.
The initial six-bedroom, 3.5 bathroom estate, which spanned 538sq m, has been completely demolished and is being rebuilt from the ground up at the direction of the Microsoft tycoon himself.
Mr Gates has already stopped by twice in the last few months with his two bulletproof suburban security details to check on the project, local sources told the Post.
And neighbours are not happy about all the disruptions going on.
“It’s been a nuisance,” one neighbour said.
“They make a lot of noise, my baby can’t sleep,” another neighbour explained. “It’s become a real hindrance on the whole neighbourhood.”
Bill and Melinda Gates finalised their divorce in August last year. Picture: Ludovic Marin / AFP
Getting permission to build in the area in the first place is a feat within itself. According to local officials, obtaining permits takes a while and is nearly impossible. But if you’re Bill Gates, with a net worth of $134 billion ($A179b), nothing is really off limits.
Although Mr Gates purchased the estate with his now-estranged wife on March 27, 2020, construction did not start until the last three months.
Real estate photos taken prior to the sale of the home show the house was in perfect condition. But Mr Gates still felt the need to gut the entire property.
“The home they purchased was in immaculate condition, not exactly sure why he would want to tear it down,” a local realtor told the Post.
Bill Gates has checked up on the progress of the property twice in the last few months, sources said. Picture: Christof Stache/AFP
Located in the upscale Del Mar neighbourhood, Mr Gates is planning on using the home as his summer bachelor pad, according to insiders.
READ MORE VIA NEWS.COM.AU
- ‘Unacceptable’: top real estate agents axed
- INTERNATIONAL: Tennis star Monica Seles’ billionaire husband, 76, is refusing to pay the $90,000 tax bill
- The continual saga of struck-off real estate agent
- Abandoned land for sale
- Which celeb real estate agents would star in a NZ version of Selling Sunset?
- When real estate ads go wrong | ‘Buy the wife some dirt for Christmas’
- Real estate agent calls out “sexist” remarks
- World’s happiest countries for 2022 named
- Inside story of how a defiant Aussie family turned their back on MILLIONS
- Where is Clarke Gayford? At home in Sandringham? | PM Adern respond