Tenants struggling to pay the rent as the lockdown drags on say calls for landlords to show compassion are going unanswered.
A pause on mortgage payments has not trickled down to rental deferrals for most tenants, with thousands having to request emergency accommodation supplements to get by.
But landlords say they have bills to pay too, and they need to help themselves before they can pass that on.
Tauranga man John is among those who are struggling to pay the rent at the moment.
His partner is pregnant with the baby due next month and after four weeks of ACC leave he was due to head back to work as a landscape gardener the Monday before the lockdown came into place.
READ MORE VIA NEWSHUB
TOP VIEWED STORIES & PAGES
- Government gives small and medium-sized businesses a boost
- Nadia Lim and husband have gone ‘back to the land’ in rural South Island
- Burger King in Receivership
- Rent relief for businesses
- Our Latest Thoughts On Property | Updated – April, 2020
- $2,000 rescue payments for tenants
- Married At First Sight’s Ivan Sarakula returns to work as a real estate agent | AUSTRALIA
- The $3.5 million underground bunkers where the rich hide out from the end of the world, and coronavirus
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have reportedly bought Mel Gibson’s mansion in Malibu
- How a Mitre 10 franchise defrauded one of its building contractors