- Wellington’s new 5-star hotel has been let off paying more than $50,000 to the council, after arguing its guests would not use the capital’s parks.
Wellington City Council has agreed to cut the development contribution fee owed by Sofitel Wellington from about $354,000 to $303,000.
This comes after the hotel chain claimed its guests would not use community reserves and infrastructure, or have any impact on roading, during their stay.
The international hotel chain argued to be let off the full development fee.
* Wellington’s Sofitel Hotel finally set to open, following changes and delays
* $35m Sofitel Hotel project plagued by changes and delays
* Work begins on new luxury hotel
* Five-star hotel planned for Wellington