Te Puke tenants


PHOTO: STUFF A rental property at 18 Hastings Street, Te Puke had water running down the walls.

Te Puke tenants have been awarded $6200 as compensation for living for six months in a property with severe leaks and electrical dangers.

Stephen and Tracey Fawcett told the Tenancy Tribunal that in March 2017, the Hastings St house they were living in suffered a full power outage.

A leak in the kitchen, which they said ran “like a waterfall beside the stove” had made contact with the property’s electrical supply.

They contacted an electrician who told them it wasn’t safe to use electricity in the kitchen. They set up extension cords to supply power from other parts of the house and lived that way until September that year.