Sir Ngatata Love has been found guilty of obtaining property by deception following a fraud trial.
Justice Graham Lang read the decision in the High Court in Wellington on Thursday.
Love was charged following a serious fraud office investigation in 2013, with the trial beginning on August 3.
The charges related to a payment made by property developer Redwood to a company controlled by Love’s partner, Lorraine Skiffington.
* Professor Sir Ngatata Love, leading academic and treaty negotiator, on trial for defrauding his iwi
* Sir Ngatata had ‘sense of entitlement’ to $1.5 million paid by developer: witness
* Sir Ngatata Love’s lawyer says agreement had no financial impact on Tenths Trust
* Sir Ngatata Love’s partner told banker ‘lump sum’ was coming
* Trustee had ‘no knowledge’ of payment to Sir Ngatata Love’s partner’s company
* Sir Ngatata Love says beachfront house not linked to development and belonged to his partner
* Sir Ngatata Love did not tell trustees his partner was consultant to developer
* Sir Ngatata Love claims partner was wrongly claiming to represent him to developers
* Sir Ngatata Love used partner’s company to obtain $1.5m payment meant for trust, Crown claims
Ross Giblin. Sir Ralph Heberley Ngatata Love appears in the Wellington High Court at the start of the trial on fraud charges.
READ MORE VIA STUFF