- Obstacles to a new Countdown supermarket in Palmerston North have been cleared, at last.
Progressive Enterprises and Palmerston North City Council have reached an agreement on the supermarket, commercial and retail development at Pioneer Highway, Awapuni.
Council planners and Progressive Enterprises had been at loggerheads for two years over the proposed development as the council demanded it fit with design principles. The council’s opposition to the project attracted a lot of criticism from the public.
Mayor Grant Smith said he was pleased it had finally got over the line.
* Countdown counting on court consent for supermarket
* Countdown supermarket proposal tests planning rules
* Palmerston North Mayor hopes Countdown won’t walk away from supermarket plan
* Countdown challenged to make Pioneer plans better
* Rules could stymie supermarket
* $16m supermarket will create 100 jobs