PHOTO: New Zealand has a new housing crisis.
According to STUFF work is grinding to a standstill on some construction sites and jobs could be at risk as home builders battle a fast-growing shortage of materials.
Record housing construction, powered by demand for real estate and compounded by Covid, is putting increasing pressure on supplies and prices nationwide of timber, steel, board products, roofing materials, paint, and even nails.
Smaller builders awaiting materials say hundreds of orders are being cancelled, and suppliers are prioritising major clients.
John Hamilton, Master Builders’ Canterbury president, said the crisis was caused by “a perfect storm” and was “not going away soon”.
- Top Remuera real estate agent won’t get vaccinated, wear mask
- THE KING: Aussie residential real estate agent does $120m of sales in just two weeks
- Barfoot & Thompson Auckland house sales plummet by 41%
- John Key says housing ‘boom run is over’
- AUSTRALIA: Is this the biggest property scam ever? | WATCH
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is now a property millionaire
- Abandoned land for sale
- Ed Sheeran reveals where he wants to live in NZ | WATCH
- HOUSING CRISIS: ‘Level and trajectory’ of house prices creating risks for recent buyers
- The great New Zealand ‘Property Boom’ is OVER!