PHOTO: Lauren Sanchez & Jeff Bezos
He may no longer be the world’s richest human, but Jeff Bezos can cast those troubles adrift this winter — because he’ll likely be putting down anchors in paradise! Yes, the Amazon overlord and his longtime partner Lauren Sanchez have joined the likes of other billionaires like Oprah, Mark Zuckerberg and Larry Ellison in acquiring a Hawaiian estate. The big buy was first reported by Pacific Business News.
More specifically, the Sanchez-Bezos home of choice lies on the island of Maui. Though the deal actually closed back in June, the exact sales price went unreported in records because the transfer was unusually complex, with Bezos buying out the holding company that owns the land rather than the land itself. But local real estate sources say the amount rang in at somewhere around $78 million, which sounds very plausible considering this estate is much larger and vastly more private than a Maui house that recently sold for $45 million to a hedge fund-rich couple from Malibu, Calif. The Bezos sales price, if accurate, is a Maui record.
And even by Hawaii standards, this oceanfront estate is isolated and remote. Located on the sparsely-populated southwestern side of Maui, the roughly 14-acre complex is nearly a world away from Kahului, the biggest city on Maui, and the island’s major tourist traps. It’s also about 12 miles south of Kihei, the nearest major city, and is surrounded by state parkland and rocky lava fields. No neighborhood trick-or-treaters here.
READ MORE VIA DIRT
- Top Remuera real estate agent won’t get vaccinated, wear mask
- THE KING: Aussie residential real estate agent does $120m of sales in just two weeks
- Barfoot & Thompson Auckland house sales plummet by 41%
- The battle over America’s most expensive home
- AUSTRALIA: Is this the biggest property scam ever? | WATCH
- Abandoned land for sale
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is now a property millionaire
- The great New Zealand ‘Property Boom’ is OVER!
- Ed Sheeran reveals where he wants to live in NZ | WATCH
- NZ real estate agents marketing on TikTok | WATCH