PHOTO: Christchurch. FILE
Visiting his partner’s grandmother in Highbury, North London, provided the foundation for Vincent Holloway’s grand design to ensure Christchurch again reflects its English origins.
The qualified builder, real estate agent and now property developer is at the forefront of a move to construct UK-style architecture of yesteryear in established locations like, appropriately, Coronation St in Spreydon.
Hendon St, Edgeware (Hendon is a municipality in the North West London borough of Barnet; Edgware Rd has a tube station) is another fitting address for Holloway and fellow Brooksfield director Oliver Hickman to construct their heritage-style homes.
“I just prefer this style,” Holloway explains inside a double-story, two-bedroom weatherboard show home hardly out of place on a quiet, tree-lined street off Hills Rd.
“We’d been building standard, modern plaster black-and-white homes that everyone’s doing.
“For the city as a whole, it doesn’t really add much. I just think you can do better on design.”
So 18 months ago, recalling a jaunt to the English capital, Holloway modified the business model, with input from London-based architect Ben Pentreath.
“I’ve been over there a couple of times. I saw the style in London and wanted to take it further.
“They’re a New Zealand (timber) version of a London townhouse, almost Georgian-style terrace housing,” said Holloway, as he leaned to open a sash window.
Brooksfield started three years ago with a modern outlook and now 80 per cent of the builds are heritage-inspired.
READ MORE VIA ODT
- Abandoned land for sale
- Up, up and away – RBNZ lift OCR
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is now a property millionaire
- First home buyers encouraged to ‘wait’ and watch interest rates | WATCH
- Century 21 launches nationwide franchise drive
- How a young woman went from being a successful real estate agent to an ice addict living on the streets
- High inflation, house prices likely to force OCR rise this week – economists
- Robert Tulp | Apollo Auctions (EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW – PODCAST)
- Terri Irwin takes out a bank loan to protect Australia Zoo’s future
- Inside Tiger Woods’ secret Kiwi hideaway | WATCH