Auckland Central MP Chloe Swarbrick has released a new video of the interior of the vandalised St James Theatre.
The heritage theatre has been closed since 2007 and had been mothballed until a spate of recent break-ins.
Building owner Steve Bielby said thieves and vandals had ‘gutted’ the once historic site.
The video showed fungi growing on damp floors, damaged electrical fittings and roof.
Swarbrick wrote an open letter calling for the government to match the Auckland Council’s $15million commitment to restoring the building.
She said the decision can’t be kicked down the road any more.
In the letter, Swarbrick said the recent break-ins and damage had exposed the building to weather and rain, and accumulated foundation-eroding dampness.
She said revival of the theatre secured Queen Streets’ status as a buzzing destination and provided space and place to Auckland’s creative community.
READ MORE VIA RNZ
- EX – Superstar real estate agent JAILED
- Prominent Aussie real estate agent stabs a woman
- NBR rich list 2022
- New kiwi Property TV Show: RICH LISTERS
- Hotelier reveals the seven things you should never do in a hotel room | WATCH
- Abandoned land for sale
- Who is Matthew Brian Ramsay? Prominent real estate agent accused of stabbing best friend’s wife | WATCH
- Reality stars ordered to pay nearly $2k after threatening to expose their landlord
- Marcus Lush – the proud owner of a “Gorse Farm”
- Dancing with the Stars’ Clint Randell and wife Jaime have transformed their Auckland family home