PHOTO: Auckland’s Stamford Plaza Hotel. Photo credit: Google Maps
News that 12 busloads of people are going into quarantine at Stamford Plaza Hotel in central Auckland on Saturday has residents who live atop the building concerned, but authorities say no decision has been made on using the hotel.
The apartments on top of the eight-floor hotel are home to about 300 people, many of whom are older and at higher risk of severe complications or death if they catch COVID-19.
One, who asked to be known only as Jill, said the hotel had told them that busloads of returning travellers would arrive today.
However, a spokesperson from the Government’s official COVID response team said there would not be busloads of people turning up at the hotel on Saturday.
“Authorities are working with the hotel to assess its suitability for quarantine. No decision has been made.”
Air Commodore Webb said he had been working with Megan Woods since Saturday morning over the option of the Stamford Hotel as a managed isolation facility.
“While an assessment of the facility is still underway, the decision has been made that no returnees will be arriving at the Stamford Hotel at any point until I am satisfied that it meets the criteria for a managed isolation facility.”
READ MORE VIA NEWSHUB