GUZMAN Y GOMEZ

PHOTO: GUZMAN Y GOMEZ 

Australian fast food giant Guzman y Gomez has dramatically pulled the plug on its United States expansion — shutting down its Chicago restaurants immediately in a stunning reversal for one of Australasia’s fastest-growing food brands.

The Mexican-themed chain confirmed on Friday that its US operations would cease trading effective immediately after the business failed to meet financial expectations.

The decision marks a major blow to the company’s international ambitions after spending roughly six years trying to crack the massive American fast food market.

Unlock 1.2 Million+ Aussie Business Contacts — No Subscriptions, No Limits


🇺🇸 GUZMAN’S AMERICAN EXPERIMENT OFFICIALLY OVER

GYG first entered the US market in:

📅 January 2020

with the opening of its first Chicago location.

At the time, many believed the Australian-born chain could become a serious challenger in the booming North American fast-casual food sector.

But despite heavy investment and strong belief in the brand, the company says sales momentum simply failed to materialise.


💬 FOUNDER ADMITS THE US STRATEGY FAILED

👤 Steven Marks
Founder and Co-CEO of Guzman y Gomez

said the business underestimated both the time and capital required to succeed in America.

💬 “I have always been confident in the differentiation of our food and guest experience, however this was not translating to an improvement in sales momentum.”

Marks admitted the board ultimately concluded the US business was unlikely to generate returns strong enough to justify continued shareholder investment.

Unlock 1.2 Million+ Aussie Business Contacts — No Subscriptions, No Limits


💸 THE EXIT COULD COST TENS OF MILLIONS

The collapse of the US expansion will not come cheap.

GYG says the withdrawal is expected to trigger a one-off financial hit of between:

💰 USD $30 million – $40 million

which will weigh heavily on the company’s full-year profit results.

The US division had already become a significant drag on earnings, reportedly contributing an:

📉 $8.3 million earnings slump

during the company’s recent financial reporting period.


📈 BUT AUSTRALIA’S BUSINESS IS STILL BOOMING

Despite the dramatic US exit, Guzman says its Australian operations remain extremely strong.

The company recently reported:

📊 Net profit of $10.6 million
📊 Revenue of $261.2 million
📊 Network sales of $681.8 million globally

with the overwhelming majority of that performance driven by the Australian market.

Its Australian operations alone reportedly generated:

💰 $673.6 million in network sales

highlighting just how dominant the local business still is.


🚀 GYG STILL CHASING 1,000 STORES

Importantly, the company insists the US failure does not change its broader growth ambitions.

Steven Marks says GYG still sees massive expansion potential within Australia itself, with a long-term target of:

🏪 1,000 restaurants nationwide

The company also confirmed it remains committed to international operations in:

🇸🇬 Singapore
🇯🇵 Japan

through franchise partnerships.


🍔 WHY AUSTRALIAN BRANDS OFTEN STRUGGLE IN THE US

The collapse of GYG’s American expansion again highlights how difficult the US market can be — even for highly successful overseas brands.

The American fast food industry is notoriously brutal, crowded and expensive.

Challenges include:

❌ Massive competition
❌ High labour costs
❌ Expensive real estate
❌ Complex logistics
❌ Consumer loyalty to established brands
❌ Huge marketing spend requirements

Even globally recognised chains have historically struggled to scale successfully in the United States.


📉 INVESTORS NOW WATCHING CLOSELY

Despite the bad news, some analysts remain optimistic about GYG’s long-term future due to the strength of its Australian operations.

Analysts at RBC Capital Markets recently upgraded the stock to:

📈 “Outperform”

while suggesting the company still has significant room for expansion domestically.

GYG shares recently closed at approximately:

💰 AUD $18 per share

giving the company a market valuation of roughly:

💰 $1.8 billion AUD


🌯 FROM CULT FAVOURITE TO PUBLIC COMPANY

Guzman y Gomez has become one of Australia’s biggest modern fast food success stories.

Originally founded in Sydney in 2006, the chain built a loyal following through:

✔ Mexican-inspired menu offerings
✔ Fast-casual dining
✔ Strong branding
✔ Digital ordering systems
✔ Aggressive expansion strategy

The company eventually listed publicly and rapidly grew into a major player across Australia and parts of Asia.


🇳🇿 WHAT NZ BUSINESSES CAN LEARN FROM THIS

The story also offers a major lesson for ambitious Australasian brands looking offshore.

Even successful businesses with:

✔ Strong local growth
✔ Loyal customer bases
✔ Proven concepts
✔ Significant funding

can still struggle internationally — particularly in the hyper-competitive US market.

For many companies, scaling domestically may prove far safer and more profitable than chasing risky global expansion.


🔥 THE BOTTOM LINE

Guzman y Gomez’s sudden US retreat marks a dramatic reversal for one of Australasia’s most successful fast food brands.

💥 Chicago stores closed immediately
💥 Multi-million-dollar losses
💥 US growth ambitions abandoned
💥 Australian business still booming
💥 Investors watching closely

And while the company insists its future remains strong…

🌯 the collapse of its American expansion shows just how difficult cracking the US market can really be.

In February, Guzman reported a bottom-line net profit of $10.6 million, up almost 45 per cent, on revenue of $261.2million, for the first half of its financial year (pictured, a store in NSW)

In February, Guzman reported a bottom-line net profit of $10.6 million, up almost 45 per cent, on revenue of $261.2million, for the first half of its financial year (pictured, a store in NSW)

SOURCE: THE DAILY MAIL

Don't be shy! Have your say....