PHOTO: Photo: RNZ / Dom Thomas
The Reserve Bank is preparing more tools to cool the housing market as it continues to warn about unsustainable prices and the risk from a slide in the market and higher interest rates.
The central bank’s six-monthly financial stability report said the financial system is solid and able to support the economy through the current Covid-19 related uncertainty and recovery.
But RBNZ Governor Adrian Orr has repeated long standing concerns about risky lending and the hot housing market.
“Strong demand for housing has pushed house prices above their sustainable level, increasing the chance of a correction. Recent buyers are borrowing more relative to their income, and may be vulnerable to higher mortgage rates or a fall in house prices.”
READ MORE VIA RNZ
- Top Remuera real estate agent won’t get vaccinated, wear mask
- The great New Zealand ‘Property Boom’ is OVER!
- THE KING: Aussie residential real estate agent does $120m of sales in just two weeks
- Abandoned land for sale
- Barfoot & Thompson Auckland house sales plummet by 41%
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is now a property millionaire
- The battle over America’s most expensive home
- AUSTRALIA: Is this the biggest property scam ever? | WATCH
- Ed Sheeran reveals where he wants to live in NZ | WATCH
- NZ real estate agents marketing on TikTok | WATCH